Wednesday, October 5, 2011

What is my Purpose?

When someone asks me, “Kori, what are your plans for college?”  I suddenly pause for a second.  I think to myself, “Crap...I honestly have no idea.”  But in actuality I respond with “I’m interested in Psychology and something in the Health Science area.”  That is what I have been telling myself is best for me, but I have this feeling I will be one of those people who constantly changes their majors and doesn’t quite know what they want to do for sure.  I think that is fairly common with most students my age, so I’m not going to stress out about it!  I realize that there are so many amazing opportunities and possibilities in the world.  I would love to travel and learn more about cultures and other areas of the world.  When I told my mom this, she seemed shocked.  I think that is one way our generations are different.  Traveling wasn’t as common back then, but now it is so simple to hop on a plane and go somewhere.
When I ask people what they could see me doing, a variety of things come up.  Most see me being a teacher, or working with children.  Others see me in the business world working for a company.  I’ve also been told I could be a pastry chef, or something along those lines.  There are many others too.  I love to hear what other people have to say, and am really trying to take their words of advice into consideration as I begin planning and preparing for my future.  One thing that I need to keep in mind is what I personally want to do though.  Deciding what you want to do isn’t a very easy thing in my opinion.  I feel like there are so many different jobs and careers out there, so it might be difficult to narrow it down.
If I can’t decide what I want to do, at least I can decide where I would like to go.  In the search for colleges, I have really enjoyed the University at Nebraska-Kearney.  It was a very friendly atmosphere and the size was just about right.  I felt at home there, which is a nice feeling to have!  I’m also planning on going to a couple more colleges for visits, so we will see how that goes.  I’m the kind of person who goes with their gut feeling most of the time, so I am hoping that when it feels right, I will just know that is where I want to go.
My overall goal for my future is to just be happy and enjoy my life.  I understand that it isn’t going to be easy.  In fact sometimes, it might be extremely challenging.  But myself, liking challenges, will learn from them and keep moving forward.  If I want to be successful in life, I cannot dwell on the bad things and get discouraged.  I need to have a goal and a dream and not stop until I reach my destination.  I just want to improve peoples’ lives for the better.  I want to go to sleep at night, knowing that I changed someones’ life in a positive way.  I’m not in it for the cash-flow, I’m in it for the rewarding feeling of making someones’ day a little brighter.  I hope I find a job where I can do that everyday, that is my biggest dream.
When I am older I don’t want to be one of those people who really hates their job.  In fact, I want to the person that enjoys waking up and going to work.  I want my job to feel as though it isn’t even a job, but just an activity that people pay me to do.  So as I am choosing my future now, I want to make sure it is something that I could see myself doing many years from now.  I am not too concerned about the paycheck, because I believe that as long as you love the job you are doing, it is all worth it.  Sure it would be nice to be a billionaire, but when you look at those people now-a-days are they truly happy?  Money can’t buy happiness, but you can make your own happiness by doing what you love.  So there you have it.  I am Kori Rae Hixson.  Since we are being honest, I honestly don’t know exactly what I want to do with my life.  Does that make me a little nervous? Well maybe.  Am I looking forward to my future, even though it might be a little foggy right now?  You bet.

1 comment:

  1. Kori,

    I really like that you seem so laid back about your future plans. You seem to be the kind of person who just goes with the flow. I am sure whatever you do in life, it will be done to perfection!

    ReplyDelete