Sunday, September 25, 2011

Where Am I?

Some people spend their childhood in one place.  Others move so often they can’t even count how many different schools they’ve been to.  I guess that puts me somewhere in the middle.  I was born in O’Neill, Nebraska and we lived in the country near the small community of Chambers.  I grew up in an old school house that we remodeled just the way we wanted it.  I thought that place was the coolest.  We even had a water fountain in the basement!  The backyard was lined with evergreen trees and it was so spacious.  I made a ton of memories with my family in the old house and I really miss it.  It will always have a special place in my heart, even though it looks completely different now and was converted into a horse ranch.  Whenever we go back up north to visit, it makes me cringe to see how different our house looks now.  It’s nice to remember the memories there though.  No matter how much things change we can always remember how they were, which is comforting.
Chambers is a very small town, with a population of around 350.  I loved growing up in that atmosphere though.  Even when I was younger I knew most of the people in the community and there were definitely no secrets kept.  When you live in a town of that size, news travels extremely fast!  I lived in Chambers up until the end of third grade.  When our parents told us that we had to move because our dad was given a job in Grand Island, we were devastated.  The thought of having to make new friends, and leave this life that we have just started to form was a frightening one.  I feel that the move was good for our family though.  
The first day of fourth grade at Aurora Elementary was a little intimidating for me.  I had met a few people at the basketball and volleyball camps during the summer, but hadn’t really gotten to know anyone that well yet.  I am so thankful that my parents chose to live and send us to the Aurora Schools though.  Everyone was very welcoming, and even though the school system was a lot larger than what I was used to, it felt very much like home.  
Aurora has been the place I call home ever since then.  I have learned to really appreciate this town.  Sure, it might get a little boring at times, but that’s alright.  When my friends and I can’t find anything to occupy our time with we just have to get a little creative and think outside-the-box.  Luckily, that doesn’t happen too often because our town has a lot to offer.  We have an adequate number of fast food places, cute little shops around the square, and many other hang out locations.  It’s a good combination for people both young and old.  Aurora is very family-friendly, and I feel that it is a safe place to live.  It is not perfect don’t get me wrong, but it is a place that I am proud to call my home.
Our school system is one of the best.  Our administrators and teachers go the extra mile to make sure we are giving our best effort and doing all that we can do to be successful.  There are many teachers that have been here for quite awhile and some that have just started, filling the places of those that have recently retired.  Not only does our school have an amazing faculty, we also have great activities and organizations.  There is a large variety of groups you can choose to be involved in.  Whether it’s band or the cross-country team, FFA or speech, you can do it all.  I know I’m not alone when I say that we have many students who are highly involved.  Many early mornings and late nights go into this commitment, but I feel that it makes an individual very well rounded.  It’s so nice knowing that our school stands behind us with much support in all of our extra-curricular activities we pursue.
Living in Aurora has taught me many things.  One thing is that I need to respect and be proud of the place I call home.  Even if I wasn’t so sure about coming here when I was a fourth-grader-to-be, I now understand that this is how it was supposed to be.  It was all part of God’s plan to open up new doors, and create new friendships for my family and I.  I feel honored and blessed to live in such a great community that has such tradition and pride.  The way I see it, if you don’t appreciate where you are from, how can you expect to love where you end up?

1 comment:

  1. Kori, I just really like your writing style! You are such a good writer who just makes it all seem so effortless. I love how I can sense the fear that you had coming to a new school and the sadness you felt about your old house. Only good writers can make the reader feel those emotions. Well done!

    ReplyDelete